It is impossible to simply state what the philosophy of the SITI Company is. Not only is the SITI Company a collective of artists, each with their own individual take on the company and its work, but the work of the company is constantly evolving; growing and changing as it moves through time and responds to a changing world.
However it is possible to point to a number of philosophical underpinnings which form the foundation of SITI Company’s work, and are held in common.
- All great life-changing work made for the theater has historically been made by companies.
- The theater is proposing to the world, alternate ways for a society to organize itself.
- The theater is a gymnasium for the soul.
- A balance between teaching, learning and doing is critical for an artist’s life.
- The art of the theater rests upon the art of the actor.
- International cultural exchange is impossible, therefore we must try.
- Training is an essential and central component of a performing artist’s lifestyle, not just their education.